Joe is best known as the owner of Coconut Joe’s – a popular beach-themed
restaurant and banquet hall in Bakersfield, CA.
- Grew up in Alexandria, Virginia: 1953 – 1979
- Served U.S. Navy Reserve: 1976 – 1982
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Graduated Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ – 1982
- Marketing Manager Pacific Bell – San Francisco
- Pacific Bell Public Relations Manager – Los Angeles – 1984 – 1990
- Served on several boards focusing on childhood poverty and Hispanic business opportunities.
- Driver for the White House Press-Pool Car in Reagan Motorcades (west coast)
Joe has worked alongside the rich and the poor – the powerful and the powerless – the famous and the forgotten. Recognized by Congress for his work in the minority communities of Los Angeles, this experience was to forever change Joe’s perspective of people and life.
Moving to Bakersfield in 1990, Joe “stumbled” into the restaurant business where he created Coconut Joe’s. An avid learner, Joe still travels to Tucson each spring for class at The University of Arizona and occasionally attends class at San Diego State University. Joe has been happily married to his best friend Leah for 38 years and has two children – Ami and Kate.